Wednesday 26 February 2020

Moving On | Matt Hudson on his role as Studios & Events Manager

Matt Hudson (pictured on the right), at Next Choreography 2018. Photo: Gorm Ashurst. 

Matt Hudson, our outgoing Studios and Events Manager, reflects on his time working at Siobhan Davies Studios.

As Studios and Events Manager, Matt manages all commercial hires, from thinking about advertising to the delivery of events. Mat also supports studio users (residencies, rehearsals or events) in the building as a technician. Importantly, with the rest of the housekeeping team, he looks after the practical maintenance of the building.

Photo: Marianne Chua

What have you enjoyed?
This role has really allowed me to explore my strengths and weaknesses and has grown along with me. I have enjoyed learning new skills and developing professionally.

The most important thing about it?
My role is to keep the building ticking. I help bring in the money to support the building and make sure it doesn’t fall down in the process. That seems pretty important right?

Proudest moment?
I have worked hard to increase the hires income to support the increasing costs of the building. I am proud of the progress we have made as a team over the last year and to be leaving behind a strong foundation for the future. Plus, I have had the pleasure of working some amazing weddings.

Photo: Dmitriy Ellie

What are you doing next?
I am going on to be the Deputy Building Manager of an immersive theatre company.

A final word of warning for your successor...?
Make sure that you keep on top of things and don’t put anything off longer than necessary, events come around quickly and odd DIY jobs can turn into larger problems if not dealt with. Plus, people will keep reminding you it's broken!
You need to be good at wearing different hats whilst juggling various tools (figuratively obviously). Don’t worry though I have left a handover document to help start you off.

Photo: Dmitriy Ellie
~

There are currently three job roles open at Siobhan Davies Studios. Find out more on how to make application on our website's Vacancies page.