Tuesday 14 June 2016

NEXT CHOREOGRAPHY INFLUENCE – LOOKING BACK

BY MARIA RODRIGUES


The Next Choreography programme has helped me become more conscious on all levels: personally and professionally.
The first term to me felt mostly like a journey, where I was constantly questioning myself and what was around me. I started to read more, exploring new artists and works. I definitely understood that choreography is so much more than just dance movements put together in a sequence… I also learned about group awareness, new ways of exploring and creating movement and improvisation.
After January, everything started to finally sink in: all the new information and knowledge. However, I never stopped asking more questions. And possibly asking for harder and more abstract answers.
Having had the opportunity to meet and work with high profile artists was extremely valuable. You not only learn different perspectives of seeing things, creative approaches, but also get to know their career pathways and build connections.
I vividly recommend this programme to anyone interested in discovering more about movement, choreography, arts, bodies. And also, about yourselves and the ones around you.
I really look forward to the Next Choreography Festival on the 3rd July, see each other’s work and get feedback!
It is hard to believe how quickly time passed!