Sunday 13 December 2015

FROM BEN DUKE’S WORKSHOP

BY MARIA RODRIGUES

Last Thursday, Next Choreography had a poetry workshop with Ben Duke, based on his latest work, “Paradise Lost” performance.
I’d like to share the 3 poems I wrote from the tasks:
(1)
‘The long neck behaviour
The Blues opportunity
To challenge bravery.’
(2)
‘The unwanted commitments
The innocence beneath
her naive behaviour.
The hierarchy she must follow,
her endeavour.
The tradition,
the youth that never lived.
The irresponsibility
the patterns never stopped.
The known yet not assumed, Guilt
in all the conventions.’
(3)
‘There is an odd smell,
Like an amputation or a nightmare
keen into self-resignation.
I should have ran from it
instead of drowning myself into this,
this pretended protection.
And they will keep preaching
“They love me”
And they will keep trying
Trying to drag me,
drag me to their praying circle
with no logical key.’